[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 25 09:03:51 MST 2009

Don,

Your comments, as usual, are right on. You also have been ever-present at
Conventions and Seminars with many classes on prepping pianos.  Could it be
more cost-effective for manufacturers to charge a little extra for a more
intensive class at a convention such as Shigeru prep?  I know I’d be willing
to pay more for that since I haven’t been able to get to your facility for
it.

I do think that more could be done from the manufacturers about encouraging
dealers to hire technicians who have gone out of their way to take the
additional training.  I have gotten such training from two major
manufacturers and the dealer had no idea or interest in that.  They also had
no incentive or reason to use my services instead of a cheap beginner.  I
was naïve to think they would care to know which technicians were making an
extra effort and were a bit more familiar with the pianos they sell.

In this area, you have been the only manufacturer representative to have
such a discussion with a dealer.  You have been more directly involved with
dealers than anyone else.  It has made a huge difference in the respect that
the dealer has for technicians.

I think other manufacturers could do much more in this area.  This is what I
have been trying to suggest throughout this thread.  There doesn’t have to
be a mandate.  Perhaps certification or authorization is not realistic

but
how about some sort of support from manufacturers for those who have sought
training?  Thanks to Kawai; where are the others?  It doesn’t have to
involve money to be supportive of us and to make a statement about showing
that they care about the quality of work done on their pianos.  The only
time that comes up if there is a serious warranty problem, otherwise, they
could care less about the work done
.or not done
on their pianos.

The lack of apparent involvement along these lines is the source of my
frustration in this matter.  Am I asking for something so impossible or out
of line?  Am I missing some piece in the big picture?  Market research has
proven that the personal touch makes a huge difference.  Thanks, again, to
you for doing such a good job.

jeannie

  _____