[CAUT] Shellac Voicing

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Tue Nov 24 15:53:33 MST 2009

Yes,
First the Sauter was too bright and needed to be "taken way down."  It
was in a room with stone floors, a stone wall, and very little soft
anywhere to be seen.  I voiced it down and he was pleased for a
while.  Then he got a Kawai for his kids and decided that the Sauter
wasn't bright enough.  This Kawai being in the "bucket-full-of-glass"
voicing tradition.

A good discussion and demonstration of the 600 then 1500 grit that
brought back some more brightness (still in the same room) without
getting nasty.  We will see if this satisfies, if not there will be
some shellac on the shoulders.  BTW these hammers took the needle
easily.   It really wasn't easy to pull the tone down on the piano,
very eager soundboard.  They are a hammer that was developed in
concert with Ulrich Sauter and he said something about their coming on
the general market soon just before the "Naturals" hit the market so I
presume that is what they are.

Andrew Anderson