[CAUT] Una chorda shift "click"

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 24 15:20:22 MST 2009

Hi all,

Our Steinway D in one of our halls has a weird clicking or groaning noise
with the unacorda shift movement.  It makes a "click" or something like it
when pushing the pedal down.  It is minimal when pushing quickly, but is
very noticable on a slow push.  It's also even more noticable on pushing
and releasing the pedal.

I sanded and lubed the right side of the key-frame, and also polished the
return spring, but it only went away slightly. It sounds like that is
where the sound is occurring.  The lyre action is not where it's
happening, so where might I look next?

Thanks
Paul