[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 24 09:00:00 MST 2009

Hi Richard,

Once again, I'll repeat, this is not a PTG conversation, although our
organization can decide to focus on raising awareness with dealers and
manufacturers.  And PTG can always do more to improve skill levels.  Your
suggestions with regard to that are good and I hope they are implemented.
You are right.that conversation belongs on a different List.  That is not
what some of us have been addressing here.  I have tried to keep the
discussion away from PTG by looking at the broader picture.

This has to do with the mindset of dealers and, in part manufacturers to
allow qualified technicians to do the work that the pianos need.  And, by
"allowing" I mean adequately compensating technicians to do such work. There
are plenty of technicians in most places who know how to do the work,
especially in larger metropolitan areas.  In many stores the dealers don't
even hire PTG members, so what does it matter how well we train our members?
This is not a training issue except that manufacturers can help by
encouraging, asking, and expecting dealers to hire techs who have been
trained by them.  Different ways have been suggested for them to offer that
training in a more financially viable way.

It is a matter of economics and ethics first and foremost at the sales end
of business, not merely adequate training. It relates to this List because
all too often a similar attitude exists on the college & university level in
not setting realistic wages and workloads for technicians despite the fact
that there are plenty of techs who are qualified to do the work.  How many
times have we read here about a job opening in an academic setting and we
are all amazed at the meager salary being offered?  There is a lack of
education there, but not in the skill level of technicians seeking or
already doing such work.  Would you promise to do a full regulation and
voicing for a private client and then only do a quick and dirty minimum of
work?  The push not only needs to go towards a high skill level but a higher
ethics level.   That is a hard thing to change unless the motivation
changes.

In many areas the C & U techs are some of the most respected and skilled.
They/we can be the most influential in changing attitudes.  This involves
many people on this list who are not even in PTG.  The area where PTG might
have influence is in working together with manufacturers to educate the
dealers. If there was a different set of values and ethics in play we would
be having a different conversation.

jeannie

  _____