[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 23 22:16:12 MST 2009

Exactly!

jeannie

  _____

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 8:52 PM
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

In a message dated 11/23/2009 5:38:59 P.M. Central Standard Time,
wbis290 at aol.com writes:

Ron,

I agree that any competent technician should be able to service any piano. I
have serviced everything from Kohler & Campbells, Grand spinets, (how many
of you remember those?), to Steinway Ds, Bechstein ENs, to Boesendorfer
Imperials. While there is a world of differences in them, a competent
technician should be able service them all. Whether this means taking a
cheap spinet and actually turning it into something that is to the point of
actually being close to a real piano or concert prepping a great grand for
an internationally known pianist, a real technician should be able to do it
all. When I hear someone say that they are a Steinway technician, a Yamaha
technician, or whatever the first thing that I think is that they are trying
to impress someone. It does not work. You either can work on any piano and
do a first class job, or you should get into another profession.

Bill Balmer, RPT

Ohio Northern University and the University of Findlay

Bill:

I agree with just about everything you say. What nobody has said is that the
so-called factory training, by which one can claim to be a given
manufacturer's technician is nothing more than a kiss from the marketing
department. If manufacturers were really concerned (and smart), they would
find the best techs wherever they are, and invite them to free technical
training. Yeah, it would cost an arm and a leg, but you'd have a bunch of
good technicians out there talking about your piano in much more educated
and qualified terms. Otherwise, it's simply short-sighted marketing, with
the results we now have at the dealer level.