[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

wbis290 wbis290 at aol.com
Mon Nov 23 16:35:51 MST 2009

Ron,

I agree that any competent technician should be able to service any piano. I have serviced everything from Kohler & Campbells, Grand spinets, (how many of you remember those?), to Steinway Ds, Bechstein ENs, to Boesendorfer Imperials. While there is a world of differences in them, a competent technician should be able service them all. Whether this means taking a cheap spinet and actually turning it into something that is to the point of actually being close to a real piano or concert prepping a great grand for an internationally known pianist, a real technician should be able to do it all. When I hear someone say that they are a Steinway technician, a Yamaha technician, or whatever the first thing that I think is that they are trying to impress someone. It does not work. You either can work on any piano and do a first class job, or you should get into another profession.

Bill Balmer, RPT
Ohio Northern University and the University of Findlay

In a message dated 11/23/09 18:12:02 US Eastern Standard Time, rnossaman at cox.net writes:
Jeannie Grassi wrote:
> Mark,
> Please understand....my suggestions have nothing to do with PTG.  Rather, it
> addresses manufacturers dealing more directly and effectively with their
> pianos at the dealerships and encouraging dealers to use technicians who
> have gone out of their way to get additional training.

Personally, I think it's many years overdue to ditch the
presumption that acceptable technical skills are piano brand
specific. Shouldn't any competent tech be able to prep a new
*anything* without a specific manufacturer's certification?
I'm told that over half the PTG membership has never attended,
that's *never*, a national convention. I don't understand how
manufacturers pressuring their dealers will get the cheapest
tuners the dealer can find into any sort of training program
when they won't attend the training already offered them.

Just my perspective.
Ron N