[CAUT] Servicing guide rail bushings

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Nov 22 09:34:10 MST 2009

On Nov 22, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Stan Kroeker wrote:

> Apart from the symptoms I mentioned in my original post, another
> annoyance that comes and goes is the damper wires buzzing against
> the closely spaced low-bass bichords.  Is it possible that, with the
> wires regulated to bear against the bushing, they may not be
> centered between adjacent unisons ... and if so, would it be
> permissible to make a slight corrective bend just above the guide
> rail (but below the string plane).  Or would this simply be
> compounding the error?

	Usually by picking which side of the bushing the wire bears on, you
can avoid this problem. It's best to have all wires of a section
bearing the same way, but I make exceptions when need be, to account
for errors in drilling the guiderail (holes not precisely centered
between the strings). Sometimes there actually isn't enough space
between unisons, in which case swedging the wire is called for: smash
it with a hammer to narrow it, making sure you do it above the part
that goes through the bushing. Some wires of some manufacturers come
pre-swedged.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico