[CAUT] A440, once again...

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 12 11:06:38 MST 2009

One reason I am somewhat skeptical is a little experiment I tried the other night. Sounding a 442 fork and a 440 fork simultaneously and holding them to a table one hears how out of tune they sound. But if you strike them and place one over one ear and the other over the other ear, they don't sound that much out of tune with each other! Granted, it isn't the same as two forks of the same frequency. You do hear a bit of a "chorus" effect. But not nearly what you hear when both ears hear both forks. I've heard pretty good choirs and instrumental groups not be able to tune that close.

But whether one can indeed hear the difference between 440 and 441 or 442 is not the same as there actually being a discernible musical difference being tuned at one or the other. I suspect most who request non-440 pitches do so because somebody else they know or have heard of does. Most folks in the world are followers.

Tanner