[CAUT] 440

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Nov 11 18:46:43 MST 2009

Isn't there some kind of international treaty about this? Isn't this a job for Interpol? maybe there's a reward?
Chris Solliday, RPT

Not everyone knows this, but I have been hired by the International Pitch Police to personally investigate all suspected pianos that are not set at A440. The responsibility lies with the "PTIC" (piano tuner in charge) to report all infractions to me, and arrange to have me visit said piano(s). The cost of transportation and all associated costs will need to be borne by the intuitions in which the piano is located. In the event the institution is unwilling or unable to provide for this personal investigation, and failure to comply will result in a stern reprimand by the IPP, which has the power to cause all the pianos not set at A440 to self destruct at the next concert.

Let this letter be an official warning to all piano tuners around the world to make sure every piano henceforth is tuned to A440.

Wim Blees. IPP chief investigator.

I'm coming in late here and have missed abit but I did want to pass on that recently I had occasion to tune at Weill Hall, little Carnegie, and I was informed by three different house personnel that the Carnegie Hall piano ptich is currently 444, and don't change it or else... NY Philharmonic Chamber Players insist on 442. Steinway recommends tuning all concert grands at 441 to be able to more easily go either way, I would have thought that more of left coast thing but...I leave most at 441 and no one even notices it's not 440, except Natalie Cole's staff who had ETDs and were working with several synths. It has been my practice in recent years (I used to be an A440 nazi) to float the pitch with the seasons. Alittle sharper in summer never less than 440 in winter. One advantage of using an ETD is being able to precisely assess the pitch throughout the registers, figure an average offset and choose the path of most stability.