[CAUT] A=440 once again

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Nov 11 15:05:10 MST 2009

Barbara Richmond wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing the explanation for that.  Maybe Ron N can
> explain it.

Not in any detail. It's an impedance matching thing, I think.
The target range through which the board responds to the
string scale isn't very wide at best, and narrows as the piano
ages and the board deteriorates. Killer octaves get worse in
dry seasons for that reason, and less bad in damp, and move up
and down scale with the seasons. It's an artifact of
(formerly) high compression panels.
Ron N