[CAUT] practice rail

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Nov 5 11:01:30 MST 2009

Hi Ron,
	Thanks for the detailed instructions. What do you use the short
length of 1/8"x3/4" material for? The cable bracket?  Are choke cables
still readily available? It's been decades now since I had a car with
a manual choke. Bicycle brake cables might substitute, if you came up
with a knob, which wouldn't be too hard. What do you use to glue the
felt to the aluminum? In any case, this seems less flimsy than what I
am imagining the Jansen and Schaff alternatives to be (I've seen one
or two over the years, though it's a vague memory).
	I'll consider the alternative of making an aluminum one.
	As I've been thinking about this, the Steinway upright I am facing
probably has the extra thick pressure bar. Maybe a rod that swings
won't work because it can't clear the pressure bar. I'll have to look
at the piano. The guy just emailed me this morning, to set up a tuning
and, by the way, could I install a practice rail. I will temporize,
tell him I need to have a look-see first.
Fred
On Nov 5, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Fred Sturm wrote:
>>    A customer has asked me to install a practice rail (muffler
>> felt). I haven't done this retrofit before. I see Jansen has one.
>> Are there others? Any advice, comments?
>
> The easiest way I've found is this. Get a 6' length of aluminum bar
> stock, about 1/8"x1/2", a short length of about 1/8"x3/4" steel or
> aluminum (or a 3/4" length of 1" angle), and an automotive choke
> cable. Measure and bend the ends so it will fit into the piano. Trim
> the ends as necessary, and drill holes for the pivots. You can drill
> a series of spaced holes for the cable wire so you can find the most
> workable leverage ratio by trial and error after everything else is
> in. The nice thing about aluminum is that you can dogleg it around
> the bass overstring offset to keep the felt as close to the string
> as possible. Put whatever padding you want on the action brackets.
> Install the felt, trim to the right length (depth), and locate the
> pivot points with icepicks, or small nails acting as temporaries.
> For the pivots, the damper lifter hanger pins (fluted on one end)
> driven into the side of the case work great, and the punching won't
> fall off the pin and roll under the piano like it does when the pin
> is in the muffler rail arms. Adjust the spread of the arms so it
> doesn't slop around. Make a bracket for the choke cable, mounted
> under the bass end of the keybed. Fit the cable in the bracket and
> determine the length of  wrap needed. Pull the wire, cut the wrap,
> and push the wire back in. The wrap can be held to the case side by
> a couple of Dampp-Chaser wire clips, or simply three 1" sheet metal
> screws, two on one side, and one in between on the opposite side.
> Push the choke knob all the way in, prop the muffler rail up to
> clear the hammers, and make a right angle bend in the wire (toward
> the treble), a little above the hole where you think you'll want it.
> Another right angle bend, about 1/4" past the first, making a "Z",
> gives you a connection to the rail. Take the rail out, tip the
> treble end up, feed the wire into the appropriate hole in the bass
> end, and reinstall the rail. That's it. If the choke cable won't
> hold the rail up, kink it gently until it will.
> Ron N

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico