[CAUT] Steinway D Hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jun 30 12:47:56 MDT 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 12:30 PM, John Minor wrote:

> Fred,
>
> How about a photo of the "five needles inserted in a wooden tool
> (hammershank spacer stock, 1/2" x 1/8" or so...."?
>
> Also, "I usually use a line of #10 or #12 needles just
> to the left/bass of each string " does not produce a clear image in
> my mind.  Do you use 4 different diameters of needles in your
> voicing? In different tools, or in the same tool?
>
> Thanks for the specifics on what works. I'd like to give it a go!

	Here are some pix. First, some needling tools (each has one size of
needle. Spacing varies). Then showing insertion of needles just to the
left of a string mark and angling in. Then three showing needling in
the full uc position, progressing around the crown.
	Does that make clear what I wrote earlier?
	Depth of insertion, diameter of needles, spacing of needles, are all
variables. Figure out what variables work fastest and get the results
you want, and do that. And then you can come back and touch up where
you hear unevenness, probably backing off on size/spacing/depth on the
second pass.

P6300010.JPG

P6300012.JPG

P6300016.JPG