[CAUT] Fwd: Revision for George Winston Show (fwd)

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Tue Jun 30 01:46:59 MDT 2009

Hi,

This rider is one that George has worked on with a number of us over
a fairly long period of time.  He originally started using something
this specific when he had a string of very poorly setup and tuned
instruments (wouldn't say where, but it was obviously on one of his
extended tours).

A couple of additional notes:

  - The reason for the note on scented polish is that George has lots
of allergic reactions to things, many of them around various scents.

  - The bench is crucial for noise, as are the pedals.  He often uses
very gradual movement, especially of the shift, for
shading...guaranteed to catch the hard-to-find squeak or rattle.

  - Also double check the tightening on the pedal box and lyre props
between his rehearsal and performance.

  - I've found it helpful to have a roughly two-foot square piece of
dark carpeting to put under the pedal box, with most of it out toward
the bench.  This can be held in place with gaffer's tape.  I've only
once had him ask to have it removed (for a very large hall)...he
usually appreciates it.

  - As to the voicing and regulation requests:  If the instrument is
reasonably powerful, in good tune and regulation, you won't get very
many requests for specific adjustments.

  - The tuning chart has been on and off the rider over time, and
should be taken with a grain of salt.  Paul's question about Steve
B's tuning recommendation is spot on...should be just fine.  A
reasonable stretch is perfectly acceptable to George.  He really does
focus on unisons, and will leave questionable notes marked, usually
with rubber mutes.

  - Plan on standing by at the concert, even if not properly
compensated.  George will greatly appreciate your taking a few
moments at intermission to double check both with himself and touch
up the piano for yourself at intermission.  Nice things said by
artists to presenters and venues can't hurt the reputation.

Hope this is of some use to someone.

Best regards.

Horace