[CAUT] Philosophy in the University/College Environment

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Mon Jun 29 07:55:29 MDT 2009

     Hello again Rick,
   On June 22, you claimed, " This is not a discussion forum for... philosophy." With the current aptitude of discourse that I have encountered on the CAUT list, I would emphatically disagree.

   Part of what we wrestle with as CAUT technicians is the unique social organization we get matriculated into when hired by the particular University or College we work for. In this milieu, we cease to work for families in the homes of families, and encounter something entirely different than that in our clients, the Other. For me it is impossible to establish understanding concerning social structure at UC without considering the philosophical models that however erroneously constructed after these models, establishes a social construct upon which relationships operate in the Conservatory environment.

   In a fraternity, defined as "a local or national organization of male students, primarily for social purposes, usually with secret initiation and rites and a name composed of two or three Greek letters,"
 & sorority, defined as "A chiefly social organization of women students at a college or university, usually designated by Greek letters," environment, it is not a stretch of the imagination to identify an effort to adopt a classically Greek model for leadership in the modern secular University. That, I believe, is Plato's "Republic."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sorority

   What you have is what could be considered a harmless type of s-exploration that takes place among the students not unlike what Plato describes for his utopian vision, certainly not a regulation of erotic behavior centered around the family, and for the employees of that institution, a type of Philosopher-Ruler role in relationship to the students for the purpose of education, not monitoring moral conduct. The employees of that institution in relationship to one another, on the other hand, are to relate democratically to one another; leadership in the institution is reserved for the purpose of educating students.

   I have found it easier to adapt to the modified social expectations of the modern secular University or College because of my familiarity with this literature. This is the Spartan model, not the Athenian model, of the classical Greek city state.
http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/republic.html

   Is not one of the tasks of the CAUT organization to help us understand the modification of social expectations that are a part of the job once we leave self-employment to work for a University or College?

   Respectfully,
           Ben