[CAUT] FW: Re: crack

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jun 26 18:17:44 MDT 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
>> Air is heated in these systems by contact with a warm surface. A warm
>> wall panel, floor, iron mass, or heat exchanger in a forced air
>> system. A correctly named radiant heater doesn't try to heat the air,
>> it directly heats distant objects by infrared radiation.
>

>     Okay, fine. Correct nomenclature is a wonderful thing. That still
> doesn't negate the fact that a hot floor radiates heat. And that it does
> heat not terribly distant objects (like a piano on top of it) by
> infrared radiation. It's a side effect, not an intention, but it has
> some importance to us as piano technicians. It is also true of many
> other heating systems, whose "intent" (what they "try to do" as you put
> it) is more on the level of convection, but whose side effect is radiant
> heat resulting in nearby objects becoming hotter than the surrounding air.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

Huh?

What heating system besides radiant (like a fireplace, say)
heats objects to higher than air temperature? A coil heated
thermal mass of concrete is a throm wall, heated from inside,
rather than by radiant energy of the sun. It heats the air
around it. I know from a lifetime of personal experience that
the air right next to a large force heated mass is
considerably warmer than anything else in the room.

I'm quite aware of the intent of the discussion as it relates
to pianos. I was attempting to clear up some basic physics
issues for anyone who might be willing to listen, not to argue
with everyone who isn't.

Ron N