[CAUT] Steinway D hammers

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Fri Jun 26 12:09:55 MDT 2009

We installed a set on a B several weeks ago, and had to treat the entire set
(full saturation), followed by two more applications to the treble and low
bass.

The factory application however, was apparent and appreciated; a really good
starting point, and no problem to work with to get a nice warm tonal result.

Where I find the difference in working time though is the final
crown-needling, string-by-string and una-corda. With hard-pressed hammers, a
general sugar-coating seems to get a lot done in a hurry. The Steinways
still need a lot more localized attention, IME anyhow.

Mark Cramer,RPT
Brandon University