[CAUT] FW: Re: crack

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jun 26 10:21:43 MDT 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Jeannie Grassi wrote:

> I think these ideas apply to reflecting light, i.e. the sun.  When
> light
> "radiates" it can be reflected back for protection and thus the space
> blanket is effective.  With radiant floor heat there is no light
> involved...only heat.

	Actually, heat is radiated (through atmosphere) in the form of infra-
red rays, a part of the continuum that includes the visible spectrum.
And various things do reflect infra-red, including metallic foils.
Think of the coatings on office building windows, and on car windows,
which reflect the heat (infra-red) and thus keep the interior space
cooler. The "space blanket" keeps us warm because it reflects our heat
back towards us, doesn't allow it to escape into the atmosphere.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu