[CAUT] Morality and Piano Technology; was RE: Tuning--again

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jun 24 18:21:35 MDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 4:54 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Having become an old man before I realized it, I have learned that
> in life, and on list, the best way to "win" an argument is to just
> let it go

Hi Ed old man <g>,
	I have a different take on arguments on a list serve. I like to look
at the argument apart from the people involved. From my point of view,
an argument may produce heat or it may shed light, usually some of
each. A good argument is one that sheds more light than heat. It is an
engagement of ideas from which the participants and those listening in
obtain better understanding ("enlightenment"). No idea need prevail.
Heat is often anger of one participant against another - always
negative - but sometimes passion for a side of the argument, which can
be positive (as it leads to more discussion and potential for greater
understanding).
	An argument should be viewed by participants with at least some
detachment. Problems arise when participants become personally
involved, identifying with their ideas, and taking any criticism of
their ideas as affecting themselves. In that case we often get
arguments where people are out to "win," whatever that may mean.
"Victory" is pretty meaningless, really: a bit of egotistical self-
esteem boost, balanced against (usually) resentment and negative
feelings of the "losing" parties.
	The best way for us all to "win" an argument is to keep it within
bounds where there is more light than heat generated. When it gets too
heated to be productive, we win by cutting off fuel - silence.
	Which is, in a sense, another way of saying "just let it go."

old man Fred

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico