[CAUT] CAUT Certification:... (Ed Sutton)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 24 09:03:18 MDT 2009

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 04:30:19 -0400
> From: "Ed  Sutton" <ed440 at mindspring.com>
> To: <caut at ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: [CAUT] CAUT Certification:...
>
> My chapter is having a difficult time reaching clarity about this proposal.
>
> What if there were various classes and exams, as mentioned, but no
> "endorsement?"
> One could say "I'm an RPT, and I've passed exams on Inventory Management,
> Concert Preparation, and so on."
> One might design one's own curriculum, including , some day, exams on
> rescaling, action geometry, etc.
>
> Would there be value in a system of classes and exams like this?
>
> Ed Sutton

Ed,

This sort of model has been discussed and could be a possible solution
for some of the issues that have cropped up in connection with this
proposal. The model for this would is the medical profession, where all
practitioners hold the title MD, but each specialty does not have a
distinct title associated with it. Thus, someone who completes CAUT
training would still use the title RPT without any enhancements, but
would be able to state on resumes, advertisements, job applications,
websites etc. the fact that they completed specialized training in the
field of institutional piano service and management and hold a
certificate to that effect.  When coupled with a promotion campaign by
the PTG  aimed exclusively at educational institutions - and
specifically at hiring officers in the music and HR departments  - such
a program would accomplish everything that is expected of a CAUT
certification without introducing the sort of divisiveness and RPT
promotion and branding issues that are feared by some persons opposed to
the CAUT endorsement idea. Language to implement such a scheme has been
suggested.

Israel Stein