[CAUT] Caut Certification

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jun 22 04:17:53 MDT 2009

Hi Dennis.

I found this post very very agreeable. I go back and forth on the
certification issues myself... and admit there are plenty of reasons for
not going in that direction... but then one can always find plenty of
reasons for <<Not>> doing just about anything.  Your post embodies a
positivist taint that I think we would all do well to hold onto in this
regard.  Its not about all the many things this will not accomplish...
or even the back sides of the medallion. Its about pushing things is a
positive, growing and challenging direction.  What good it ends up doing
in terms of pay grades, enlightenment of University administrations...
etc etc... are in the end rather difficult to see anyways and I suppose
somewhat dependent on how effectively CAUT and the PTG employ and
utilize them as marketing tools as well as how successful they are in
enhancing and assessing a technicians abilities.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi-

    The small comment I have to make on this issue does not directly
    follow in line with the present conversation about potential
    effectiveness within our various schools, but more about
    effectiveness within PTG.  In spirit this is a great idea and it's
    about time we see more focus on upgrading RPT skills. There is
    enough already for the associates. The problem however, which you
    already know, is that we (CAUT's) are the minority.  I believe lots
    of RPT's would welcome the return of some kind of designation that
    goes beyond the minimum level required to pass the exams.  Most
    other trades have these levels of advancement and it is nothing
    new.  Even if such designation proves more effective at inspiring
    tech's to gain the honor than it is at impressing administrators,
    that is still a good thing.  We all know there is a huge gap between
    what is required to do successful concert work anywhere and the exam
    requirement to become an RPT.  If this proposal only had some way to
    include or recognize the advanced concert skills of RPT's as
    required off campus, it would be a much easier sell to the whole
    organization.

    cheers,

    Dennis Johnson
    St. Olaf College