[CAUT] What a joke!!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jun 19 08:16:49 MDT 2009

Seems like a string cover would be useful. The space blanket idea is
effective but a little unsightly. What would be ideal would be a
fabric cover, thin (like Dampp-chaser undercover), that was printed
with a design of plate struts and strings, and reflective (like those
shades for car windows). Attach with magnets. A couple sizes, that
could be folded a bit to meet intermediate sizes of pianos. Good for
stage lights, and breezes (from heating and cooling systems) in
recording studios, as well as outside locations. Though it wouldn't
eliminate the humidity effect, it would slow it some. The speed with
which pitch changes is connected to the movement of the air over the
board, which accelerates the transfer of moisture to or from the wood
(stagnate air means slower transfer).
	A good, inexpensive source for magnets I found recently is
kjmagnetics.com.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico