[CAUT] now CAUT Certification

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 19 07:33:28 MDT 2009

Churches have survived for centuries in an "us against them" mode, in
the past killing those who didn't fit in with the popular mode. There
are fine technicians who would find this whole thing another opportunity
to put "us against them".  A small time college tech, when I get in over
my head, my first call is to the tech for the Houston Symphony, paying
him to aid me in anything I feel would be best for the college.  I'd
certainly consider this new notion a "good guy" against the presumably
"not good enough" guy when there are, in any business those who do good
work and those who don't.  There is no certification which guarantees
any kind of quality.  Back before I took the RPT exams I was often
called to task on pianotech because I said one could pass the exams
knowing very little about real pianos, and 13 or so years after passing
with rather good marks, I am all the more convinced such is the case.

I am aware the Texas convention lost money last time. Everyone is
struggling. So why not make "university" training available at
conventions, rather than attempt a different, expensive, venture
somewhere outside that venue?  As for a piece of paper...........  Oh
my. I also have always been convinced the customer is far more capable
of making value judgments regarding qualification than any piece of
paper.   I attended summer sessions 13 years of a 4-year certification
in church music, and never managed to get certified..........  I think
it had to do something with never bothering to fill out the paperwork.
Was I better for the education? Absolutely.  Would having the paper made
any difference? Certainly not.
les bartlett