[CAUT] Caut Certification (was Re: Steinway or Forgery? now CAUT Certification

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Jun 19 06:59:22 MDT 2009

I’m not Fed, but let me chime in here.  If taking the training or the tests is not beneficial for you, I’d highly recommend not taking the training or the tests.  They should be and undoubtedly will be taken only by people for whom they will be beneficial.

Secondly, the problem of outliving your certification is a problem in every skill.  I meet people every day who have passed their drivers test, but who are obviously not still qualified to drive and this is a problem with more public safety issues than the CAUT certification.  Any certification only says that “at one time you had a certain skill” and this includes doctors, lawyers and accountants.

I am one who will undoubtedly pass up this certification.  I’ve been at this too long, and I’m too close to retirement for it to matter to me.  However, when I do retire, the school will have to find someone to replace me and it will undoubtedly be someone who has less experience.  The specific training outlined in this proposal not only would be very beneficial for a skilled technician entering the academic realm for the first time, it would have been very good for me 23 years ago when I started here.

Sometimes we have to provide opportunities for people in PTG that are not a perfect fit for me personally.  This curriculum will not be taken by the vast majority of PTG members.  I hope that each of us is not so self absorbed that we’ll vote it down just because it’s not for me.  That would say more about our membership than I want to contemplate.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu