[CAUT] Caut Certification

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Thu Jun 18 10:48:20 MDT 2009

________________________________
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Joe Goss [imatunr at srvinet.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:24 AM
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Caut Certification

Hi It would be a bargaining chip the bean counters could better relate to. The more letters after your name the smarter you are supposed to be Taint so but-------
Joe Goss BSMusEd MMusEd RPT
imatunr at srvinet.com<mailto:imatunr at srvinet.com>
www.mothergoosetools.com<http://www.mothergoosetools.com>

    Hello Joe,

   "Bean counters" is the phrase. If making money while fixing pianos is your goal, and it is not necessarily the goal of every piano tech., stay out of university and college work, and figure out a way to stick it out in the field, unless it is an abbreviated, non-full time schedule with a good salary. Or invent good tools.

   Furthermore, in the field, in comparison with your clients, you stand a much better chance of making more than your clients. In the university and college environment, at least 90% of the people you work with as faculty make more than you do, and most, a lot more, even if you run the program. For some, it is humiliating. Granted, students do need to be considered as clients at a school.

   The people making money fixing pianos run their own business efficiently, and do business well. Now it will be even more complicated to work at a college and university, still for less money then technicians in the field. I think there is a reason for this. Generally, in my experience from the field and in higher education, working at a college is easier, though somewhat more time consuming. I think the best technicians make it in the field, personally. It is tougher out there. I think that is why we associate job security in piano technology with college employment. I have yet to feel underqualified for anything I've had to do at a university or college.

   My question once again which I mentioned under the subject of budgets a few days ago, for a long-term improvement plan in the College University environment for piano techs, is, what about all the organs that need tuning in the facilities we work in? Why exclude tuning and repairing them as part of the CAUT endorsement process, if we expand the responsibility of piano technician beyond piano?

   - Ben