[CAUT] Caut Certification (was Re: Steinway or Forgery? now CAUT Certification

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jun 17 18:59:10 MDT 2009

	As long as Ben has introduced the subject, perhaps a slightly more
salient description is in order. As those of you who are politically
involved in PTG are aware, there is a proposal before council this
year to establish a credential for cauts, under the name of College
and University Technicians Endorsement (CAUT-E). This is the result of
many years of discussion, and various efforts to put ideas into
practical form. It is different in form from anything I remember being
discussed in this forum, though maybe that is just my bad memory.
	In any case, the proposal is based on a series of four intensive
training sessions, each to be three days in length, under the name
"CAUT Academy." They will cover, under a prescribed curriculum, topics
to do with administration, management, planning and the like; concert
level tuning and preparation; historical instruments and related
topics; and a miscellaneous category that will include techniques for
maintaining high use instruments at a high standard. Each of these
sessions will have an exit exam related to it. Passing the four exams
will constitute receiving the endorsement.
	The fact the there is a practical proposal before council is pretty
remarkable. Kudos to Dale Probst and many others for pushing to make
this real, rather than just a lot of continuing talk. As to what
council will make of it, that remains to be seen. But we hope that
most of you will take a positive view of this, as a step in the right
direction.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico