[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery? now CAUT Certification

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Wed Jun 17 11:01:39 MDT 2009

    Greetings to all,
   Though about one or two people since I started posting on the CAUT list have accused me of writing without thinking, I have thought quite a lot about an open statement posted about me going on two months ago, and I intend to respond as it relates to the present effort to establish a CAUT certification by the CAUT committee. It is just an e-mail guys, not a letter to a publishing house.

   First of all, I believe Eric Wolfley should have tenure and have already had a Sabbatical. He has taught here, and lectured at the symphony. I am happy for all his success as a piano technician in Cincinnati and abroad, and unhappy for his lack of it as it relates to this. However, I need to make some observations about the following conclusion he made recently that:

   "I want to interject something here since Ben Sloane works for me here at CCM and tends to be rather verbose on topics he may or may not completely understand."

   I believe I started encountering more scrutiny after this statement on the CAUT list.

   First of all, I think a number of PTG members of the Cincinnati chapter wonder why I am still here. I am not from here. For the most part, Cincinnati technicians are aware that the best references from Eric Wolfley and Lawrence Becker, while I worked for them as a contractor at CCM, generally either were retained for themselves or given to Allen Wright and Nevin Essex among others, though they may correct me on this. I did get some good ones, I thought, however. Now that Lawrence resigned, and I took his position, this is not much of a question anymore. Why would I have put up with this?

   I would give two reasons.

   1. I bought a house
I had a pretty good opportunity or two to leave to a better employment situation as a piano technician. Unfinished housing projects prevented this.

   2. It has taken a while for me to feel like a piano technician.
Somehow, I just didn't think it was my calling in life. My interest in CCM began with studying piano, not fixing pianos. So it seemed a reasonable state of affairs.

   I wish to add however, on the subject of a CAUT Certification, that in my experience with Eric as his employee, there is, again, nothing to be gained by continuing education. This will result in no significant raises or more time off, i.e. for increasing education, at the institution he works for; the institution under his direction has proved that. Why would Eric then himself endorse the CAUT certification? It simply will not address the problems with employment for piano technicians at the institution he works for. And he thinks this will change things abroad? I am engaged to a woman who owns three houses in the tri-state area.

   Moreover, Eric has, in spite of witnessing me obtain CTE level tuning exam scores, expressed vehement objection to both my tuning and my regulation of pianos here at CCM in spite of the fact that I am an RPT. Apparently, for Eric, even regulation and tuning are things that as an RPT a person "may or may not completely understand." So why endorse yet another useless certification? At CCM, it will continue to be for some piano technicians, too much responsibility, not enough authority, no matter what certification I have.

   So much for lunch.

   Respectfully,
      -Ben