[CAUT] Tuning--again

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Tue Jun 16 11:04:18 MDT 2009

Fred, and others:

It's no joke. What is good? What is perfect? What's good enough? Who's
there to tell? Who's there who can tell. Driving to the good is intensely
moral. Or perhaps ethical is better. This is not a put-down to ministers or
anyone else, but a cogent statement which highlights the personal (moral)
activity of creating a value. Joke? I think not.

Paul

In a message dated 6/16/2009 11:11:57 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
fssturm at unm.edu writes:

On Jun  15, 2009, at 8:27 PM, tcoates1 at sio.midco.net wrote:

> I read the  quote  below to my wife and neither one of us understand
>  it.  My father was a minister and one of my best friends is a
> minister.  I must not be tuning the right pianos because I  don't
> consider myself even close to the type of decisions they  make.  I
> really am in awe of piano techs whose tunings  truly have moral
> implications.

Hi TIm,
I think the point is that, for the obsessed, rather silly piano
technicians, those decisions about where to place some individual  note
become so important as to become "moral" decisions. It's a poke  at how
seriously we take our work, when it really doesn't have  anywhere near
that level of importance. Though from the heat and  passion generated
in some of the discussions, we certainly give the  impression of
talking about life and death issues.
It's a joke, okay? Poking fun at ourselves and what we do, and our
attitude toward it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New  Mexico