[CAUT] Steinway K Rail

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Mon Jun 15 20:00:06 MDT 2009

There is an excellent item from Ferree's. It is called crack oil. Used for brass (trumpet t-bone etc) breaking of corrosion of various joints.
If it is really frozen you can use the cracker oil and add some heat (torch)
Alternatively you could just drill the threaded rod out and then re-thread. The rail is a jack stop and an integral part of the action. It is regulat-able and assistant for the jack escapement reset function. Simply put it provides the equilivant of the aftertouch for the upright action.
Gerry C