[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness...and maybePure Sound

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Mon Jun 15 10:13:20 MDT 2009

Boy this thread has transmogrified - but still related to tuning, at
least.

I've thought through these ideas a bit as well, and have a few thoughts
to contribute along the same lines of hearing the differences between
tunings.  I present a class at conventions sometimes where I tune 2
matched pianos to very different tunings and have the class listen to
the differences.  It is usually quite audible, especially once I point
out the differences to the technicians (important point, this, but a
topic for another message).  The easiest way to hear it is to play quiet
chords with both hands in the middle of the keyboard, and listen to the
general sound of the chords, not in pitch but in tone color and
"quaveriness."

To my old and well-abused ear, octave widths change the sound of the
tuning more than temperament style (meaning equal or unequal).  To me,
this is because the relative speed of all of the 3rds and 6ths changes a
fair amount.  This means that a wide octave tuning (such as one based on
12ths) can be heard in a comparison to a narrow tuning.

The wide octave tuning (meaning P12s or close) has more energy, is more
aggressive and tense sounding, to the point where it can become (wow, I
can't find the right terms!) dry and sterile as the beats become too
fast to hear as beats, especially in to the mid treble.  The fast beats,
to my ear, cause a sort of grating edge to the tone.  To my ear the
octaves are too fast as one goes up into the treble, and sympathetic
coupling of the octaves does not take place as efficiently at the top.

In contrast, a narrow octave (meaning 2:1 or close) causes thirds and
6ths to beat slow, which some people may not like because they become
sort of wet and lush. I have had musicians tell me this sounds "sweet"
to them, but others say it lacks energy and bite.

Unfortunately tonal memory is not very persistent, so tuning the same
piano one way then another to compare is not quite as revealing unless
one records it. But teaching my comparison class is extraordinarily
difficult because of the need for similar pianos and all of the
preparation necessary (minimum of 8 hours, usually, for a 1.5 hour
class!).

One time I prepared 2 Shigeru 6'1" grands for this seminar, and then
they were moved into a different room just before the class.  The air
conditioning started doing it's thing, and the effect of the tunings was
lost! The tenor of the wide stretch piano came sharp, but the other one
didn't move as much.  It kind of spoiled the class, but was a valuable
illustration as to how subtle these differences are.

Once one moves to the audience in a reverberant concert hall to listen
to the sound of the piano, then all is changed.  Differences between
tunings become even more subtle, I think, and only the energy of the
sound matters. I feel this is one reason why tune-offs don't really work
well.  This is also one of the arguments for using wide stretch for
concerts: The piano seems to have more energy and projection, and the
subtleties of the 3rds and 6ths are not really heard.

Don Mannino