[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness...and maybePure Sound

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 13 19:22:13 MDT 2009

Re: [CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness...andI try to use the shank weights to avoid work.
Before hanging them, I weigh the hammers and shanks, then play with the numbers on a spread sheet to minimize hammer weight surgery. Generally most of the work will need to be done on the low tenor, where there is a drop in strikeweights between the bass and tenor sections. My sense is that an even strikeweight progression reduces the need for needling across the break. We all need to believe something.

Ed