[CAUT] Piano Response or how heavy the action is.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jun 12 10:16:24 MDT 2009

Hi all

I've used this last school year to pay very close attention to what
various pianists mean by "the piano is heavy" or "it is light"... i.e.
what usually most of us would think in terms of physical weight of the
action and have come to the conclusion that the greatest majority of
pianists simply are not concerned with, and perhaps not even
significantly affected by (at least directly) physical weight concerns.
For them it is simply a matter of what they hear in response to how much
energy they use to play. They also seem to for the most part base their
appreciation (positive and negative) for a piano based on whether they
like a very responsive instrument or one that requires more effort to
drive into brilliance.  It seems like only when they get into issues of
repetition and the like are they concerned with things that touch on the
actions physical properties.

Case in point... we've a CFIII that has specified 59-57 grams downweight
and a minimum of 25 grams upweight by the factory compared to a S&S D
that is 50-47.  Now thats a chunky difference really.  Yet the Yamaha,
which was allowed to get bright, overly bright really has been described
by every single pianist this year as being much lighter then the S&S.
The S&S is simply darker voiced... and really not allllll that much so.
Friction issues have been purposely addressed on both to isolate that
from the situation.

I have no doubt that despite this very precise balancing and evening out
of action weights and key to key ratio can and does play a very
significant role in how the pianist overall perceives (positive or
negative) the piano, but in the end... it is the voicing of the
instrument that is the key to the pianists sensation of whether the
instrument is "good" or "bad", and most certainly whether the instrument
is heavy or light.  Real physical impedance only indirectly affects this
perception.

Cheers
RicB