[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers - follow up

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jun 11 15:41:59 MDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) wrote:

> The official word I got from them and others there at the factory
> including Kent Webb and Eric Schandall is that each set of hammers
> is pre-soaked before installation in 3:1 lacquer/acetone. The whole
> set is dipped for 30 seconds is what I was told.

	One little addendum: one of the reasons for this pre-soak was to get
better results when cutting the hammers apart. This makes the felt
stiffer for the cutter. Hence the hammers are cut much more evenly and
straighter - and so it has seemed to my eye in looking at current
production versus five years ago and more.
	Since the voicing guys were always dousing the whole set with 3:1
anyway, this seemed like a win win situation - saves them time as
well. Also meant that all the pianos would have at least that
consistent amount of lacquer as a basis.
	For those who hate lacquer, hey, that's another argument. This is one
manufacturer deciding what to do to improve quality control in its own
eyes and by its own measure. Personally, I think it was a good step.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu