[CAUT] Yamaha grand screws too short?

maxpiano maxpiano at sc.rr.com
Mon Jun 1 18:53:36 MDT 2009

A church I serve has had the piece that holds the lock to the lid on their
Yamaha C7 pull loose.  (I know, I know--after 50+ years tuning, I should
know the name of the piece.  The book on nomenclature is next on my list to
get).  I have never run up against this before.  But the screws (2 7/16"
flat head brass--#12?) do not protrude much into the lid and I'm wondering
how well my standard fix for stripped screw holes (leather lining the hole)
will hold unless I can find a slightly longer screw.  Is any such screw
available -- perhaps 1/8" longer?  I fear the point pricking the finish of
the other side if I go too long.

Bill Maxim