[CAUT] 1912 B: speaking lengths anyone?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 25 21:06:01 PST 2009

Cramer, Mark wrote:
> Thanks Bob, this is amazing, and exactly what I needed! You
> saved me from plan B, which was having to measure yet
> another 1912 B (private job) coming into ths shop next
> month. Good to know there's lots of these fine instruments
> out there.

Is this then, a presumption that they're all the same? You
might want to check that premise.

> Sorry if I wasn't clear Ron, no need to diagnose.
> Re-capping is a foregone conclusion, as the bridges are
> barely touching, or below the plane of my test string...
> with no string load. :>(

Oh? What's the present measurable crown in as many places as
you can reach? If you set bearing with adequate crown in the
first place and there's no bearing now, there isn't adequate
crown either and making the bridge taller won't cure that. So
lacking adequate crown, what do you hope recapping will get you?

> (Our shop is now alarmed (the HVAC e-mails me) at a 20%
> minumim RH, as opposed to previous Januarys, when this
> board was originally installed, and the engineers
> calculated single-digits... and we still hot-boxed! :>)

Which means what? What's the current RH%, and at what MC was
the board ribbed?

> I just wanted to double-check my speaking lengths with
> Bob's before I start carving the cap. Must be the 1/2" of
> shop dust on my teardown notes making me paranoid.
>
> best regards, Mark Cramer

Again, what do someone else's measured speaking lengths on a
different instrument have to do with crown and bearing on this
piano?

Ron N