[CAUT] Kawai GE3 mystery buzz

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Wed Feb 25 07:25:22 PST 2009

Richard,

Barbara's comment is most likely the culprit.  Buzz is metal to metal sounding high freq.

If you push down the lock (on the strecher) by using a hammer shank or similar soft device. (avoiding the potential scratching of the brass) you should see the lock stop screw which holds the mechanism in place. Unscrew the phillips screw and remove the fallboard stop lock entirely from the strecher. It will come up adn out. There will be a spring (as a part of this entire assembly) comes down and out.  Play the piano and confirm that the buzz has stopped. If it has then most likely the spring is rattling about inside in sympathetic vibration.  Thread some thin felt  through the spring and reassemble. (If your budget is not like most use renner premium bushing cloth...hahaha). If the buzz is still there then further investigation would be needed (obviously)  There was one instance when the lock itself was buzing in the eschuotchen plate but that was confirmed visually and stopping the buzz by putting a finger on the lock plate. In that case the lock itself along with the eschuotchen was replaced. Yes, there was some cabinet (poly) repair needed as the plate is put on prior to the final poly top coat.  Good manufacturing but a pain to repair.

Hope this helps.

Gerry C

WCUPA