[CAUT] mean tone tuning- help!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Feb 24 20:38:19 PST 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:12 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Tim Farley is the technician who introduced Peter Serkin to 1/7th
> comma meantone.
> The following offsets were sent to me by Tim Farley.     Ed S.
>
> F +2.9
> F# -2.2
> G +1.5
> G# -3.7
> A 0.0
> Bb +3.7
> B -1.5
> C +2.2
> C# -2.9
> D +0.7
> Eb +4.4
> E -0.7
> F +2.9

	These are more regular than Don's (three different numbers), yielding
"good M3s" 2.9 - 3.0 cents narrower than ET, "bad M3s" 5.8 - 5.9 cents
wider than ET, 5ths about 0.7 cents narrower than ET, and a wolf 8.1
cents wider. Again, I'd call it 1/8 (to myself), and I'd certainly use
it. I think a true 1/7 comma wouldn't be good for his repertoire -
wolf and bad M3s too noticeable. If he likes the 1/8 comma, I'm not
going to quarrel with him <G>.

	It just occurred to me I had a document from Bill Bremmer on mild
mean tone. It confirms what I have been saying. The 1/8 comma figures
are almost exactly what Tim Farley provided. (I hope the chart
following translates okay. It is a copy and paste from a Word
document, so it may screw up in many email programs. In any case, it
shows offsets for 1/7 comma the same as what I calculated, and 1/8
comma within 0.1 cent of what Farley provided). Perhaps somebody
should tell Peter Serkin. Or perhaps not.
Note
-3.0 5ths (1/7 Comma Meantone)
-2.7 5ths (1/8 Comma Meantone)
+3.0