[CAUT] mean tone tuning- help!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Feb 24 18:25:09 PST 2009

Don McKechnie's numbers being different from Chip Miller's, I did a
quick calculation (thanks to Thomas Donahue for giving me the
understanding to be able to do this). The syntonic comma is about 21.5
cents. Hence, 1/7 comma is about 3.1 cents, which I round to 3 cents
to make my life easier. Starting with A at 0, and noting that all ET
5ths are already narrow by about 2 cents, I simply tune (virtually)
5ths down from A and up from A until I reach the standard E-flat in
one direction and G# in the other. Results: pretty close to Chip.
C 3
C# -4
D 1
D# 6
E -1
F 4
F# -3
G 2
G# -5
A 0
A# 5
B -2
C 3
	In spite of this, I'd go with Don's numbers, as they seem to be "from
the horse's mouth" and have satisfied the customer. And they are a bit
milder, which is probably a good thing. I'd say they were more like
1/8 or 1/9 comma. The wolf 5th is 8 cent wide, as opposed to 11 in my
calculation (meaning 2 bps rather than 3 bps). In mine, all M3s are 4
cents narrow of ET, all diminished 4ths (the "bad" M3s) are 8 cents
wide of an ET M3. (Note that D# should be named E-flat, A# B-flat). In
Don's (Tim Farey's), the sizes are irregular, which shows pretty
conclusively that it is in error, strictly speaking in mathematical
terms (mean tone is always regular). I am also curious about the F3
+4.5, F4 +2.9 (I would probably peg the input number for F at 3.5, and
let the ETD take care of the stretch). I guess I suspect that TIm did
an aural tuning of this and recorded it. In any case, it is
essentially the right overall shape, and in the ballpark.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu