[CAUT] professor tuning variables

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Tue Feb 24 10:07:04 PST 2009

Ric, and listers,

Great input!!  Thanks everyone.

I have always attempetd to make the most of every situation and to cater (of course within reason)to the "clients" needs.  In my brief toying (and not telling)with the ET's and UET's here at WCUPA, I have found that some of the profs' comments have been on the very positive side. They actually prefer my tuning musings. In that vein it would be my humble opinion that (during thisw brief analysis) perhaps ET provides too much E and not enough T for the human (analog) ear.    ET,of course, for Jazz and balanced sound standards but, for orchestral, chamber, harpo's and maybe even Piano & instrument (flute, viola,violin etc) it may be worth it to have a piano "properly tuned" for that particular setting. I think it may benefit all and, as an added benefit (?) I would be doing my part in the process to maximize the experience of the listner as well as the performer(s). This may be a simple justifying of the term "Professional". Not, by ANY strech of the imagination to infer anyone in the gang is anything different.

In regards to my original query, I was simply asking the list as to any experiential findings present or past on variables of tuning for the professors. I totally concur that having several "tricks" in the bag always benefits everyone involved.

Of course, the discussion of ET,UET,MT etc as well as aural tuning vs ETD tuning borders on similar sort of debate of Digital vs Analog sound bantied about in the recording engineers arena. Both sides of the discussion are warranted and both sometimes agree that the other side might need to be "warranted" by the authorities.  hehehe.

Thanks again to you and all who comented.

Gerry Cousins

Lead Musical Instrument Repair Technician

West Chester University