[CAUT] Practicing on concert hall pianos piano

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Tue Feb 24 05:38:57 PST 2009

We have exactly the same policies and identical problems.  What
infuriates me the most is that it is the faculty that ignore and abuse
the policy.  Then they are the ones to complain about the condition of
the pianos.  I have been to faculty meetings and explained the
problem.  Everyone seems to agree that we need to limit "practice"
time on performance instruments, and then go right ahead and do
whatever they choose.  I find them even giving lessons in the hall or
rehearsing for hours early on a weekend or late at night when they can
find the hall free.  Their arrogance is frustrating but when they then
complain about the condition of the pianos, that really burns me.  And
the hall is always heavily booked.  For crying out loud, I have to
schedule weeks in advance to get in there to tune.  The poor pianos
are scheduled for use ten hours a day then add the squatters sneaking
in there at all hours.

And people wonder why piano tuners are so grumpy all the time.

Chris

On Feb 24, 2009, at 7:53 AM, Graves, Tony J. wrote:

> I agree with David....More playing equals more wear and tear.  I
> wish people would understand me here.  In our main recital hall it
> can have up to 8, or more recitals a week. We have 2 piano a D and
> an old CF, but were an A. S. S. school so everyone plays on the
> Steinway no matter who or what their playing the piano for.  The so
> called "policy" here is that students get 1 hour and faculty get 2,
> for rehearsal, but it usually ends up at 2 and 2 and sometimes
> more.  The use of the the piano doesn't stop there.  It also gets
> used for piano studio classes every week we have 4 piano faculty and
> they each have 2 hours, grant it they may not always use the full 2
> hours.  Sometimes the faculty use it for their own practice time.
> Then there are  other groups that use the piano too. So the hall is
> booked heavily everyday.
> One thing that really made me mad toward the end of the fall
> semester was one of the piano faculty said it was a "substandard
> performing instrument"  I told him that with all the use it gets
> it's hard to keep the "Concert Piano" in peak performance with the
> use it gets and the limited time I have in the hall.
> So some of you should consider yourselves lucky.

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
Registered Piano Technician
School of Music, Ohio University
Rm. 311, Robt. Glidden Hall