[CAUT] professor tuning variables

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 23 16:39:10 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <rnossaman at cox.net>
>> David Porritt wrote:
>> I’ve never done that but it sounds reasonable.  Remembering what
>> temperament goes where is what computers and inventory databases are for.
>>  Which is exactly how our predecessors 150-200 years ago kept up with it.
>> :-)
>> Tanner
>
> I've long suspected that the impossibility of meeting everyone's requests
> for something different in temperament and pitch is what was originally
> responsible for the shift to ET and a nominally standard pitch.
> Administrative streamlining.
> Ron N

...which is of course, that which underlies my lack of enthusiasm on the
subject.  But I also suspect the music required temperament to be more
versatile as composition became more complicated, and a tenor might want to
sing a piece originally composed for bass without changing the color of the
accompaniment.  All sorts of reasons to not really want to retune the piano
every time you sat down to it.
Tanner