[CAUT] Comparing ET to non-ET variations

Dan Reed pianoarts at tx.rr.com
Sat Feb 21 14:45:10 PST 2009

Theororiticaly, an ET can be variable depending on how wide or narrow
we choose to space the temperment octave...for example 2:1  4:2  6:3
Etc

In addition, we can then vary the width, stretch,  of the octaves
outside the temperment...

So, there is some variation we have available, within the 'limits' of
ET.

The wonder of non-ET temperments, is that there is incredible beauty
in, for example,  pure 3rds and pure 6ths. But, these temperments
require a 'specific' style... with key signatures, and modulation
evolved out of the OET.

The 'problem'  with OET temperment as a standard tuning, is that, for
example,  where in the scale are you going to introduce the adjustment?
Will not the result be, that, for example, chromatic parallel 3rds will
vary in speed depending on the key?

Dan