[CAUT] professor tuning variables

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 08:54:17 PST 2009

Of course it's all a matter of taste and the ability for one to actually
perceive the difference (some people can't) and/or boredom looking for
something new, but I tend to agree with David that some/many jazz players
want to be able to modulate between distant keys without the character
changing significantly.  A half step modulation from C to C# could produce
quite a distinct difference in quality that many would reject.  Similarly in
some modern music with no tonal center there can be a similar reaction.
Also, I find that with chords using lots of altered notes, controlled
dissonances, added 9ths, 11ths, 13ths, that the outer keys with wide
exaggerated third's spacing just don't sound that good and lose a certain
sonority.

As somebody who is a serious noodler in jazz idioms I find that while non
equal temperaments provide a certain interest and break from the norm, it's
short lived and I quickly tire of what just sounds, well, out of tune.   At
least for anything but the most mild deviations.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com