[CAUT] professor tuning variables

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 21:14:29 PST 2009

David writes:

<< I play jazz and ET is the only thing I want to hear.   Jazz has lots of
improv, key changes...I sure don't want to hear a F-A at 7 bps change to 17 bps
on a F# type chord...;-[ >>

    That isn't a change we would expect to find in Victorian era tuning,
(expect 7 bps at F3 in ET). In most of my tunings, it would be slower, in the 3-5
range.  Likewise, the F# third wouldn't beat at 17 bps. but could be tempered
17 cents wide, beating at , hmm,  I have never counted it, maybe 10 at F#3? If
this sounds loose, it is.
    Jazzers I work for around here don't mind, and even like, the tuning
"warmed up"(their words). Same thing with some arrangers I tune for.  They felt
like ET was boring after trying some mild WTs. So, even though they didn't know
why, they settle on a comfort zone, and it is rarely all the way back to ET.
     It isn't so important to have a lot of contrast between  keys, just that
everything isn't the same, and there be a logical order. I see the major
improvment with just a slight departure from strict ET, which produces a different
feel, harmonically.  People like this.
    My customers have had the difference pointed out and I sell them what
they want. Sometimes, when a pianist first plays a "loosened" ET with clean
octaves and fresh unisons, it is like watching them drink the Kool-aid. Others
don't even register it, and a very few get uncomfortable because it is different.
There are fewer and fewer of those , but that might just be me, I dunno.
    As far as PR goes, it certainly isn't my shining personality that
determines profesionals' preferences. My tunings aren't cheap, and these are not
naive ears. I think it is the change in the response of the instrument.  I think
ET represents a mathematical ideal, but makes for compromised expression in
keyboard music. I believe humans respond more naturally to something slightly
rumpled, but that is just MY Kool-aid.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours
in just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%
3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)</HTML>