[CAUT] Sciortino Insta-Coiler

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Feb 20 16:24:58 PST 2009

At 09:22 AM 2/20/2009, Jeannie wrote:
>I've had mine for 30 years and it is one of my most treasured tools.

I used one some years ago, but haven't been stringing whole pianos
for awhile. I remember that with care it would do a great job -- if
one was careless, though, and the pin was too far into the block, the
wire would try to climb back over itself.

The most magnificent thing about the Sciortino Insta-Coiler, IMO,
is that it turns a very sharp becket turn with even the thickest
bass strings (a much sharper 90 degree turn than I could ever
do by hand), and saves one's aching thumb. The next best thing
is that it makes a neat nice tight coil, and even if the string is
later slacked off and then retightened, it jumps right back into
the neat coil.

Susan