[CAUT] Detuning phenomenon; was: How long to stabilize??

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 20 01:19:54 PST 2009

Hi Jeff

Laminated bridge caps have been around for a very long time.  Some
instruments I have around here with laminated bridge caps are among the
most unstable I deal with.  Others seem more like most pianos... and a
few are very stable indeed. I don't see it established that the
laminated bridge cap can have a favorable impact on stability.... tho it
may be true at that.

Cheers
RicB

    Not trying to put a wrench in the gears, but is the "unadulterated
    NY D" played as much as the piano with the laminated bridge caps?
    Reason I ask is an accidental experiment I did once when an opera
    coach moved into a vacant piano prof studio for a year with two Bs
    about 6 or 7 years old, both bought at the same time, both with
    complete D/C systems, which as best as I could observe, were well
    tended to.  He only used one piano, which I tuned several times
    during the year and experienced wild pitch changes with every
    tuning.  The piano next to it was rarely used except for events we
    hosted, but I think tuned 3 or 4 times and experienced next to no
    pitch change.  Amount of use seemed to be what created the difference.

    Jeff Tanner