[CAUT] Detuning phenomenon; was: How long to stabilize??

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Feb 19 14:00:08 PST 2009

This is a great discussion!!

I thought I was a bad tuner after tuning in the NW for 15 years where this
didn't happen.  Right before winter semester started, I got really busy
tuning pret-near everything I could get my hands on.  Then, when all the
NASM (accredidation folks) were to come, all the pianos sounded like crap!
Humidity was 35% when I tuned, or so and then it dropped drastically to
between 20-24%  even as low as 13% for about a week during a cold
snap(right before they came).  Behold, the center strings were kinda
close, although perhaps down 8-10 cents, but the left strings were sharp
and the right strings were flat.  The bass/treble break was horrible! I'm
wondering, also, how soundboards, bridges, and strings behave to these
changes.  It's obvious that it happens everywhere and glad to know it's
not just me!! :>)

I've also found that the pianos somewhat "recover" when the humidity comes
back up to where I started.  Summertime is a different story!  How have
you all found unisons to behave....I realize the pianos will, in general,
go sharp to 442 or so...

Thanks
Paul

"Ed  Sutton" <ed440 at mindspring.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
02/19/2009 12:34 PM
Please respond to
Ed  Sutton <ed440 at mindspring.com>; Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

"Jeff Tanner" <tannertuner at bellsouth.net>, "College and University
Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Detuning phenomenon; was: How long to stabilize??

Darned if I know!

Lateral is what I'm imagining.

It will depend on the hitch pin location. For the most part the change
would probably be the same, front and back, since left sides of the
trapezoids will tend to both face the same way relative to the bridge
movement. This might account for the strings that are odd men out in the
detuning pattern.

Do you think the string slips past the bridge pins on, say, a 6 cents
pitch rise? I see this happenning in pianos which were not played during
the humidity change, so I don't thing the strings were rendered past the
bearing points.

Will it go back in tune if the humidity changes back. I don't know.
Perhaps so if we are only talking about, say, a 2 cent pitch change.

I have no idea what kind of lateral pressures would be involved, or if the
soundboard wood is capable of generating it.

For an even wilder thought, consider that if the bridge shrinks or expands
enough, the angles of the bridge pins will change!

Probably more productive to think about changes in bridge cap thickness.
Ron Nossaman may be able to send some statistics about his laminated
bridge caps. He also lives in pitch adjustment hell, so may have more
experience to share.

Ed