[CAUT] How long to stabilize??

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 19 07:24:36 PST 2009

Hi Diane,
	THere are a few patterns to pitch change due to humidity. The most
noticed is at the tenor break, and also the treble break. But unisons
go out in a pattern, also, on most pianos, usually more in the octave
5 and above range than elsewhere. This happens on Steinway Ds (I
always notice after a rain, or sharp fast change in humidity, and call
it unison smear - a cent or so overnight sometimes), but is especially
noticeable in many Yamaha and Kawai models (not to single them out,
also other Asian makes), where that treble section might stay closer
to pitch as a whole, but with wide skewing of the left and right
strings. Often one will be sharp of pitch while the other will be low,
and the middle between. Also common is left or right on pitch, and the
other below or above by quite a lot. Sometimes it is a 15 cent or more
difference. Ouch! Nasty unisons mean unhappy customer. (Talking here
about after a 20% or more RH change, over a period of weeks).
	I don't have an explanation, just observe it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu