[CAUT] Plate locator holes

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 13 05:43:32 PST 2009

Jeff

When I have drilled locator holes I have always done so with the strings removed but before loosening the plate screws.  If I am going to use the holes for alignment I will not have any strings therefore no tension in place when fitting the block/plate assembly to the piano.  If you drill them with tension in place there is always the chance that 20 tons or so of tension will slightly affect the plate dimension and thus the locator hole itself as well.

Norman Cantrell, Registered Piano Technician