[CAUT] inharmonicity in piano wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 5 11:25:02 PST 2009

Probably the accurate answer is that bowing reduces but doesn't
eliminate inharmonicity, both on pianos and viols. The effect is
caused by the way the bow works: its friction grabs the string, then
the tension of the string overcomes the friction and it slips. This
happens continuously and "periodically" (meaning the events are fairly
even in time span, between grab and slip), and the periodicity means
that the vibration of the string is being produced continuously. That
periodicity overcomes the tendency to inharmonicity, but probably not
entirely. Vary the friction, speed, and pressure and you vary the
pitch - hopelessly more complex than the simple piano <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu