[CAUT] inharmonicity in piano wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 5 09:19:29 PST 2009

On Feb 5, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Cy Shuster wrote:

> Dr. Sanderson told me it's because higher frequencies propagate
> through wire faster, and thus resolve as sharper than the
> fundamental (which I don't completely understand).  It's *not*
> because of dead space occupied by the nodes between individual
> waves, he said.

	I won't claim to understand completely, but the propagation
phenomenon can be grasped better on an intuitive level by looking at
the high speed videography samples Birkett has posted on his website.
I find the bass strings and the Wapin ones most useful. The bass
strings clearly show the deformation caused by the hammer blow
traveling (being propagated) to the bridge, then being reflected back
in reverse (down instead of up). There is also a kind of "shivering"
effect, where you can see a faster component as well as the slower,
larger one. In the Wapin film, focused on the bridge pin, you see a
periodic larger vibration, accompanied by a "shivering" effect, which
is, presumably, the higher partials activating the bridge pin.
	It's a very complex thing going on, and hard to get all the details
to fit together.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico